Thursday, January 27, 2011

I sure do need to call a plumber

Have you ever had one drain partially stopped up, while all the other drains work fine?  That's what's going on at my house.

For the past two months (or it might be three, since I haven't been keeping count) the drain where my washing machine is connected, has been acting up.  The kitchen sink is connected to the same drain and it works fine, however, it does cause the drain at my washer to gurggle once in a while.  All the bathroom drains work OK.  Back before the first of the year I didn't do anything about it because I didn't want to spend the money, didn't have the time, needed to clean the house, and besides it was close to Christmas.  Shoot, I just didn't want to fool with a plumber. 

Along came January.  Haven't done laundry since before Christmas,  and  I'm almost out of  'you know what'.  It's almost February and I haven't called the plumber yet.

Well, yesterday I couldn't put off doing my laundry any longer.  I cleaned all the junk off the top of the washer and dryer so that I could get started.  Sheets first.  Last time I did the washing, I found that I could set the water level on low and the drain worked fine.  If I set it on medium and stopped it in the middle of draining, I could wait a minute then start it draining again and it wouldn't run over.  Took fifteen washer cycles, about a hundred gallons more water, and three days to get four large loads washed.  But I didn't have to clean up any water.

I don't know how it took me so long to figure out that I could just fill that sucker up, pile a full load in, and let 'er go.  All I have to do is stop the machine twice while it's draining.  Hey, tried that and it worked.  I did have to stay close by in order to hear when the washer quit swishing and started draining, but more got washed at one time.  I only let water spew out the drain, down the wall and onto the floor  three times in three loads.  Took a lot less time and used less water and soap.

Since three loads were all I managed to get done yesterday, I'm back at it again today.  Only have three more loads to do.  That is, if I put some never-washed red towels in with my jeans.  If I decide that I don't want to take a chance of my jeans coming out a wierd offish blue/pink color, it's  gonna take four. I sure do need to call a plumber.     

No comments:

Post a Comment