Monday, January 24, 2011

Is it a sin to lie to your dog?

Well, it's Monday morning and I've got a problem. I know I said that this post would be my opinion of the way old men wearing hats drive, but as usual things aren't working out the way I thought they would.

Now, back to my problem.  From the time I could say "No", my mother taught me to always tell the truth.  It's good advice and I do believe one should.  However,  here's where Mr. Problem comes in.  I have two little dogs.  They tend to puddle on the floor in the living room.  That's not the worst part.  They 'go' on an antique Aubison rug.  Now, if I say "I'm going to church", and have on something beside jeans, they seem to understand that I'll be back soon, and they are 'usually' good.

One is a male dachshund and the other is a female designer dog - half dachshund and half German Shepherd/Pit Bull/junk yard.   Their names are Oliver and Blossom.  I call Oliver, Olie for short, and got him when he was ten weeks old.  Blossom's name was Rosie when I got her.  She was a year old, had been a shelter dog, abused as a pup, and had the attitude that she was not going to like me.  She didn't like anyone, and would only tolerate me because she liked Olie.  She did not look like a 'Rosie' so I named her Blossom.  I'd had a pet named Blossom and I could remember it.  Besides I was determined that she WOULD blossom into a good dog.

Back to my problem.  Recently one Sunday evening I was attending a party at my son, Wesley's house.  I didn't dare say I was going to his house because they know the word Wesley, and they adore him.  They also get to go to his house where they always get treats.  I knew if I told them the truth, I would be faced with a major mess-up.  Not only would I have pee all over the floor, most likely there would be smelly truffles scattered all over the floor.  So---I lied.  I said I was going to church.

Since then my conscience has been bothering me.  Not only did I lie to a couple of my best friends, I lied about where I was going.  Now these two little animals cannot possibly understand all this, so it doesn't bother them.  But I know.  And the Man Upstairs knows.

I asked several friends what they thought.  Was it a lie, or not?  Some said "No."  Others said a lie is a lie is a lie.  Finally I asked my daughter.  Bless her heart she explained to me why it was not a lie and my mind was put to rest--- that is until today.  I tried to remember what she said.  I'd like to ask her again, but she'd think I've gone nuts.  So, what do you think.  Was it or was it not a lie? 

No comments:

Post a Comment