Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Been to the Post Office Lately?

Went to the  Post Office this afternoon.  Got out of my car at 2:19, sat back down in it at 2:46.  Twenty seven minutes to mail three small packages, two Priority mail and one First Class, no insurance, no nothing, "just mail them" I said.

When I got in line, two windows out of four were open, and the clerk at one was leaving.  He went somewhere in  back.  Where?   I don't know, maybe to take a nap.  He just left his window.

There were five people besides me in line.  A lady clerk took her time waiting on a customer at the other window.  Three men and two women were before me.  Three were on electric thing-a-ma-jigs, cell phones or such.  I think two were texting and one man just kept looking at a little black object in his hand.

When I left the line was almost out the door, at least twelve to fifteen people.  One elderly lady came in carrying on a conversation, and I do believe she and the one she was talking to were both deaf, and it was a  l-o-n-g conversation.  She was still talking when I left.  At least one young parent was among the crowd, because a small kid kept running around yelling.  No one seemed to claim him, but then I wouldn't have either.  Don't know what the others were doing - I just glanced around and saw a lot of bored faces.  I felt the same and I didn't want anyone I knew to see me.

Years ago the public was told that the U.S. Postal System was changing and would be run like a business.  Well, have you ever seen the government run anything like a going business?  The post office boss should be ashamed, because no business I have seen has been run like our postal service.  Nor will it ever be and stay in business.  But then, we support it - right?

Never saw the clerk that left the room again, but his glasses were on the counter.  Years ago at Texas Tech, I had a professor that was always tardy, but his hat would be on his desk.  He let the class know that if his hat was on his desk, he was there.  So I guess the clerk was 'there'. 

I wish I could have done like the students at Tech did and left my packages on the counter.  The next time that class met, every student put a hat on his desk and left.  But that didn't turn out too well either.  Next time they came to class the professor told them that he had given their hats a test and they all flunked.

Sometimes there is just no way to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment