Thursday, February 10, 2011

I'm Gonna Quit Fussing About the Snow

Yep, I'm gonna stop fussin' about the snow as of today.  At least for a little while.  You know what they say about gripping because you are on crutches until you see a man who has no feet.  Or somthing like that.

Today I was driving in my little BMW down Coulter, a major thoroughfare. The temperature outside was a cold twenty something.  Inside, it was a cozy seventy four deg., I had my seat warmer on, and I was going to a doctor's appointment for a check-up.Traffic was slight because there is snow about six inches deep, up to drifts of two feet or more.  Yes, I was complaining to myself about having to get out in the cold weather, when I saw a lady walking by the side of the street.

The lady had on what looked like a warm, full-length black coat.  I couldn't tell how old she was from the rear, but she seemed to be stumbling, even though she picked her steps carefully.  I, like everyone else, drove on by.  But then I got to thinking.  In this neighborhood, absolutely no one would be out walking  unless their car had broken down, or they lived in the low-income apartments about two blocks down the street.  She seemed to be headed toward the apartment complex, which is known to be home to some needing an inexpensive place to light temporarily, or for a few that are two cookies short of a full bag.  Either of those two situations would be reason enough for me to help.

By the next corner I felt bad about passing and not offering the poor lady a ride, so, after two blocks, and four right turns, I put on my hazzard lights, pulled up beside her and stopped.  Rolling down my front passenger window,  I called "Can I give you a ride?"  She just headed straight for my car and I could tell she was really anxious to get in. 

She had snow on one side of her face, and coat as if she had fallen.  Whe she sat down, she only said "I'm going right down there to those apartments.  It's not far, just right down the street," and pointed.  When she did, I noticed a shoe full of snow in her hand.   "I lost my other shoe," she added.  And then I saw her feet.  The poor thing had on no shoes, no socks - nothing on her feet.  They were a bright, blotchy red, and she was shivering.

At the apartment complex, she directed me to her door.  I drove as close to it as I could.  When she got out I watched as she walked in the snow, shaking while she opened her purse, got her keys, dropped them, picked them up from the snow, and opened her door. 

I backed almost all the way out before I saw the sign - 'One Way.  Too bad, I thought and kept backing until I was able to turn around and continue on my way to the doctor's office.  My check-up turned out fine, but I can't seem to get the lady out of my mind.  I hope and pray that she is okay.  And I don't think I'll be complaining about the snow or being cold for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment